Friday, March 24, 2017

Music for Sunday, March 26, 2017

Lent 4

What is Refreshment Sunday?  

The Refreshment Sundays or Rose Sundays are Sundays within the two major fasts observed in Western Christianity, Lent and Advent. On these days, the fast was allowed to be relaxed, hence the name "Refreshment Sunday". The Refreshment Sundays are:

  • Laetare Sunday, the fourth Sunday in Lent
  • Gaudete Sunday, the third Sunday in Advent

So, in honor of Refreshment Sunday the music will be in major keys! (Maybe I'll even have some chocolate!)

The Psalm appointed for this Sunday is Psalm 23 - everyone's favorite! Both the CMG and Trinity Choir will sing this comforting text.

The setting at 9:00 is by John-Paul Gentile and William Matthews, former members of Bethel Music in Redding, CA. 

The setting by Charles Collins  at 11:00 is a special request by Mtr. Vivian.  In 1994 Collins was composer-in-residence at the CME (Choral Music Experience) Institute for Choral Teacher Education and has received his Artist-Teacher Certification from the Institute He is currently Director of Music at St.Paul University Children's Chorus in St.Louis. "The Lord is My Shepherd"  is a Gospel arrangement and is very "laid back", and as such has become a huge favorite of the choir.

9:00
The Lord Is My Shepherd
Awaken the Dawn
Your Word, O Lord
Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)
Whoever Eats This Bread
Rescue
Flesh and Bone
In Christ Alone

11:00
O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing
Awake, O Sleeper, Rise From Death
Offertory The Lord Is My Shepherd
Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound
O Jesus, Joy of Loving Hearts
My Shepherd Will Supply My Need
I'll Praise My Maker While I've Breath




No comments:

Post a Comment