Thursday, November 1, 2018

Music for Sunday, November 4 All Saints


Today is All Saints Day, and as such, we will celebrate this Sunday, November 4. The hymns and songs will certainly reflect the day and celebrate the saints, but the anthems will celebrate a couple of special saints. But first, the hymns!

"For All the Saints" was written as a processional hymn by the Anglican Bishop of Wakefield, William Walsham How. The hymn was sung to the melody Sarum, by the Victorian composer Joseph Barnby, until the publication of the English Hymnal in 1906. This hymnal used a new setting by Ralph Vaughan Williams which he called Sine Nomine (literally, "without name") in reference to its use on the Feast of All Saints, 1 November (or the first Sunday in November). It has been described as "one of the finest hymn tunes of [the 20th] century."



 The Sequence hymn is probably the most requested hymn I get! The text was written by Lesbia Lesley Scott (1898-1986), who wrote pedagogical and inspirational hymns for her three children during the 1920s. Many were written in response to the children’s suggestions: “Mum, make a hymn for a picnic,” or “Mum, make a hymn for a foggy day.”  Though these domestic expressions of family faith were never intended for publication, at least one of them appears to have had a life all its own. “I sing a song of the saints of God” was composed for All Saints’ Day. It stresses that saints not only lived in the distant past but also may live and work today as they carry out the everyday activities of their lives. Given the song’s humble and domestic origins, the author was “a little disconcerted by its popularity,” since this was neither her favorite hymn nor the favorite of her children. Evidently this was a concern held more broadly, according to British hymnologist Richard Watson, since the seemingly irreverent hymn “has disconcerted others too.” “I sing a song of the saints of God” is a particular favorite among Episcopal parishioners in the United States. The website, Anglicans Online lists this hymn as number fourteen (out of twenty) “Desert Island Hymns.



Diane and Lannis Roberts 
At communion, the Trinity Choir will sing a memorial anthem for our beloved Diane Roberts, whom we lost in the spring. The anthem chosen by Lannis is a stunning arrangement of a Catholic Prayer, “Angele Dei”, known as the prayer to one’s Guardian Angel. This is a fitting memorial for Diane! Composed by Susan LaBarr, it features a lovely melody and beautiful close harmonies. A graduate of Missouri State University, she was a member of MSU’s premier female a cappella group, A Cub Bell, and even won “Best Soloist” award at the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella competition in 2004!




ANGELE DEI,
qui custos es mei,
Me tibi commissum pietate superna;
(Hodie, Hac nocte) illumina, custodi, rege, et guberna.
Amen.

ANGEL OF GOD,
my guardian dear,
To whom his love commits me here;
Ever this (day, night) be at my side,
To light and guard, to rule and guide.
Amen.



Mercy Me
At communion the Contemporary Music Group will sing one of the first contemporary songs I remember, “I Can Only Imagine” I heard this song for the first time shortly after we moved to Kingwood in 1999. My neighbor, Lee, had terminal brain cancer, and sadly passed away in late 1999. I accompanied this song as it was sung at his memorial, and it has stayed with me ever since. Recorded by the band Mercy Me, the song was inspired by the death of lead singer Bart Millard's father, and considers what it would be like in Heaven and to be standing before God. In 2002, "I Can Only Imagine" earned the Dove Awards for 'Pop/Contemporary Recorded Song of the Year' and 'Song of the Year'; Millard earned the Dove Award 'Songwriter of the Year' at the same ceremony. With 2.5 million copies sold, it is the best-selling Christian single of all time, 

I can only imagine what it will be like
When I walk, by your side
I can only imagine what my eyes will see
When you face is before me
I can only imagine

Surrounded by Your glory
What will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus
Or in awe of You be still
Will I stand in your presence
Or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah
Will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine
I can only imagine when that day comes
When I find myself standing in the Son
I can only imagine when all I would do is forever
Forever worship You
I can only imagine


On Friday evening, November 2, you will have an opportunity to remember family members that have passed. Our All Soul's Day service is held in the music suite at 7:00pm. This is a lovely, reflective service with music mainly from the Taize tradition.


No comments:

Post a Comment